Saturday, March 20, 2010

European Union President a Haiku Poet

Good Friends:

The President of the European Union is a Haiku poet. I first encountered this bit of news when he was being considered for the post. His love of Haiku was actually something the media, particularly the BBC, dwelt on in considering him for this office. And guess what?, he's a syllabic Haiku Poet. Cool.

There's a new article about him and Haiku at the BBC, you can find it here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8577506.stm

Best wishes,

Jim

2 comments:

Dan Gurney said...

Hi, Jim--

What encouraging news. I nipped over to the bbc article, following your link. The guy writes some good poetry, or I guess we can say he's got a great translator.

By the way, thank you for the compliment on my first Etheree. I just posted my second one.

Jim714 said...

I made the effort to read some of his Haiku in the original language as best I could. Yup, they are syllabic. I can't speak to how he uses his native tongue, but critics have generally given his work a thumbs up. I think this is encouraging for syllabic Haiku.

Jim

P.S. You are welcome.