Monday, September 10, 2012

Why Friends Stay in Touch



Why Friends Stay in Touch

Herbs
Steeped
Tisanes
Peppermint
After the sun’s set
After the week’s work has ended
While reading another chatty letter from a friend
Who moved away, how many years ago? (now that I think about it, it’s more than ten);
We keep meaning to get together but life’s complicated and our schedules don’t seem to match up for a shared time and place or a shared when,
Which is completely understandable since after receiving a truly superb job offer in his field (the rise and fall of large mammals during and following the most recent ice age) he packed up and moved to England;
But I have an affection for our correspondence via the ancient practice of letters which I read and re-read on Saturday nights with my cup of tea to keep me company as I carefully reply to his observations while adding my own along with highlights from the days of my life, which I sign with my favorite pen, fold with care, stamp, and send.


No comments: